<< Friends' Home Page | << Mine Shaft Works Page |

Bomb Crater

--- Posting from our now closed Forum ---
At the weekend we noticed some subsidence at the bottom of the 'bomb crater' near the top of hill above Sally's Glade. Although we have referred to this as a 'bomb crater' it has probably been formed as the result of past coal mining activity. Although the ground has only settled a relatively small amount at the moment, we don't know exactly what is underneath and whether it could collapse further.

Bristol Parks have looked at it and are going to get a Structural Engineer to advise them further. In the meantime a small fence with red & white tape has been put around the hole to warm people of the possible danger.

If you are up on the hill and notice that the fencing has been removed can you please email bristolparks@bristol.gov.uk or friends@troopers-hill.org.uk so that we can get it replaced.

There is an interesting passage about past coal mining on the hill in Tom Fry's memories of the area that can be downloaded from our 'Memories of Troopers Hill' page at http://www.troopers-hill.org.uk/people.htm. If you have any further information please get in touch.

Posted by Rob, Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:54 pm

And here are pictures of the 'ole, before and after taping off.

Posted by Susan, Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:05 pm

I roamed around TH before, during and after WW2 but don't recall ever
seeing or hearing of any bombs falling at the top areas. I do remember one or two "hollows"
and I think they would have been at the sites of old workings. Probably the new subsidences
confirm this.
The reference to 'ole in the ground reminded me of Bernard Cribbens and I found on the web
his recordings of that song plus "Right said Fred" and the "Folk Song". Thanks for the memory !

Posted by Dick Best, Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:43 am

I had a phonecall from our Community Parks Officer this morning. Bristol Parks think it is about 80% certain that the hole is related to old mining activity and are going to put up more substantial fencing around it while investigations are carried out.

I'll keep posting information as it comes my way.

Cheers,

Susan

Posted by Susan, Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Heras fencing in place

Posted by Trooper Hill, Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:55 pm

Bristol Coalmining Archives Ltd have done the report for Bristol Council on what the subsidence may be, not the Coal Board as I originally reported. It seems almost certain (of the nature of 99%) that the subsidence is over a deep shaft. Of course we don't know whether this is just a small shift of a large amount of filling or whether there is a substantial hole there just waiting to appear. It's now over to a structural engineer for testing and a recommendation.

In the mean time some bright people seem to think it is a good idea to take apart the protective Heras fencing from time to time. This has now been put back together four times and the council are sorting out a more robust barrier.

If you do see that the fencing is not covering the subsidence please do ring Bristol Parks on 0117 922 3719 asking for the fencing to be urgently put back in place.

Cheers,

Susan

Posted by Susan, Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:53 pm

Nice new fence!

Posted by Jules, Fri May 28, 2010 1:01 pm

I gather the new fence was on the advice of the Council's structural engineer who said that a larger area needed to be fenced. I've now set up a new webpage at http://www.troopers-hill.org.uk/MineShaft2010.htm which will be updated as we get more information.

Posted by Rob, Fri May 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Had a wander past the bomb crater this evening while walking the doggie. The outer fence has been damaged, as has what's left of the inner fence.

Posted by souterain, Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Yes the inner fence was removed last weekend, we think for an attempt at mass sliding down the hill that didn't work. It was picked up from below the chimney by Bristol Parks on Monday. Although they think the risk of a further collapse is small, Bristol Parks have decreed that their employees should not go inside the outer fence, so the inner fence will not be replaced. The fence post was probably broken by whoever removed the inner fence.

The current plan is for an trial excavation by the Coal Authority in the next couple of weeks with a long reach excavator with a view to filling or capping the shaft depending on what they find. We hope to get some notice of which day so that we can be on hand with a camera.

Posted by Rob, Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:53 pm

Latest news is that the excavation at the mine shaft will be towards the end of September when the Coal Authority's contractor has finished his current work.

Posted by Rob, Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:04 pm

<< Friends' Home Page | << Mine Shaft Works Page |

Friends of Troopers Hill
Website produced by the Friends of Troopers Hill

www.troopers-hill.org.uk